A pediatrician is a child’s doctor who provides:
- preventive health maintenance for healthy children.
- medical care for children who have a short-term or long-term sickness.
Pediatricians manage the physical, mental and emotional well-being of their patients, in every stage of development.
Generally, pediatricians focus on babies, children, adolescents, and young adults from birth to age 21 years to:
- reduce infant and child mortality
- control infectious disease
- foster healthy lifestyles
- ease the difficulties of children and adolescents with chronic conditions
But, pediatricians are concerned with more than physical well-being. They also are involved with the prevention, early detection, and management of other problems, including behavioral difficulties, developmental disorders, functional problems, social stresses, and depression or anxiety disorders.